Recipe War Week #1: Amuse Bouche
August 31, 2008
PhysioProf’s amuse bouche is a miniature morel mushroom and duck confit chawanmushi (Japanese savory egg custard). Recipe is inside the crack.
1 cup concentrated demi-glace
1 cup water
2 tbsp white wine
morel mushrooms (fresh or reconstituted dried)
little ceramic cups with lids
(1) Break eggs and mix yolks and whites by stirring (not beating), introducing as few bubbles as possible.
(2) Gently mix in demi-glace, water, and wine. (The exact ratio of demi-glace and water depends on how concentrated the dem-glace is. Combine the demi-glace and water separately, make sure it tastes fucking good at that ratio, and salt to taste before adding to the eggs.)
(3) Strain this mixture through a fine sieve.
(4) Place one piece of morel mushroom and some shreds of duck confit in each of the little ceramic cups, and then pour in the egg mixture to cover the morel and confit. (Don’t get too close to the top of the cup.) Put the fucking lids on.
(5) Steam the motherfuckers over high heat for approximately ten-fifteen minutes. To test if they’re done, poke the top with a thick toothpick. If the custard is solidified and clear broth (not cloudy with egg) comes out of the hole, they’re done.
(6) Serve with a little tiny spoon. To eat, remove the fucking lid, stir the shit up a bit to break up the custard and mix the flavors, and YUM!
Vote here! And do not be bamboozled by pretty pictures. Remember, this is a Recipe War!